Sunday, March 05, 2006

Quack!



The other night, I curled up with a hot cup of cocoa, the dogs tucked under my feet, and found myself thinking about ducks.

Not the kind that you eat, although those can be really tasty, especially when you get the cooking time right (a feat I finally accomplished after much experimenting and struggling with temperatures in my new oven and cookware.

No, I mean the live kind of duck, with feathers, and webbed feet. When I was a girl growing up, there were three kinds of ducks. There were "our” mallard ducks, that came to visit us like clockwork every spring to the pond in the park, only to depart again every fall with the first sign of frost. There were the tall ones that lived across town, whom my parents called the Rosens, even though their names were really the Abramowitzes. And then there were my grandparents.

My grandmother in particular was a beautiful old bird, with soft downy wings and a preference for milled corn over aquatic plants that she must have brought with her from her native Poland.

My parents didn’t talk much about her, possibly because of the duck thing, though it could have been because she lived upstairs from us and the walls were thin, making it difficult to say anything without her hearing. When she died, the house seemed ten times emptier without the sounds of her flat-footed waddling emanating across the floors.

Now, later in life, I realize that perhaps her feet weren’t so broad. Perhaps instead, the road was narrow. The Chassidic storyteller Rav Nachman of Bratslav once said, the entire world is a narrow road. Although actually, he said it was a narrow bridge, not a road. Which is an even better analogy, since ducks can swim under bridges, something they can’t do with a road. So take your pick. It all reminds me of another great work from my childhood, Make Way for Ducklings.

I think I need to buy new shoes.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mirty said...

OH MY G-D! This is amazing!

I love the picture of Meiko with a sombrero!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

This is a really dead on parody of Mirty

3:15 PM  
Blogger Ayelet said...

This is so unbelievable! Mirty, do you absolutely swear it's not you?

7:24 PM  
Blogger Mirty said...

I think the bloggess of Sweet Rose did it. (Yes, Jameel, that is my official "Guess the Blogger" guess.) Why? Because she and I have somewhat similar writing styles to begin with. And that's just my hunch. :)

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home